With the world’s first back-illuminated 35 mm full-frame CMOS image sensor with 42.4 megapixels, the Sony Alpha a7R II Mirrorless Digital Camera Body takes image resolution, sensitivity (up to ISO 102400) and speedy response to new heights. The Fast Hybrid AF system’s dense extra-wide focal plane phase-detection AF coverage keeps a subject in sharp focus entirely throughout the frame, while 5-axis image stabilization reduces blur which otherwise tends to affect handheld shots. High resolution is further enhanced by 4K movie recording featuring full pixel readout without pixel binning. With so much insight packed into such a compact form, it’s clear that there is more to life than meets the naked eye.
As the world’s first 35 mm full-frame image sensor with back-illuminated structure, this 42.4-megapixel CMOS sensor enhances light collection efficiency, expands circuitry scale, and, with the help of a quick-transmission copper wiring layer, outputs data about 3.5 times faster, while minimizing image noise to reveal fine details in every picture
Great performance achieves its full potential accompanied by an array of innovative features. With an outstanding 42.4-megapixel count, the new image sensor in the a7R II lets you explore the world in remarkable detail and the camera employs no optical low-pass filter that can compromise high resolution. To reduce image blur, the camera’s newly developed reduced-vibration shutter minimizes and Silent Shooting mode eliminates camera shake caused by shutter movement. And a growing family of FE lenses lets you witness more of the incomparable clarity that the sensor delivers from every perspective.
To optimize the benefit of the a7R II’s amazing high-resolution capability, especially when shooting unpredictable action or while you’re in motion, the act of shooting should be as steady as possible — otherwise, even slight camera shake can risk blurring the shot. The 5-axis image stabilization system is carefully fine-tuned to match the 42.4-megapixel performance of the a7R II, so you can zoom in on faraway subjects, shoot close-ups and capture night scenes with minimal camera shake blur to achieve maximum clarity.
You can see how the a7R II is optimized for recording 4K (QFHD: 3,840 x 2,160) movies, particularly in Super 35 mm format, as it processes readout data from every pixel without pixel binning, to effectively suppress jaggies and moiré. The resulting footage exhibits visibly sharper, finer, more subtle detail than typical 4K movies. Also, as the first1 full-frame camera that can record movies at 4K resolution in the 35 mm full-frame format, the a7R II extends your power to express qualities of vision that the newly developed, back-illuminated full-frame image sensor makes possible.
- Back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor – The a7R II has the world’s first1 35 mm full-frame CMOS image sensor with back-illuminated structure, which achieves approx. 42.4 effective megapixel resolution, widely expanded sensitivity range, and extra-low noise performance. It also has no optical low-pass filter that can compromise sharpness, so fine clarity and detail extend from edge to edge of every frame.
- High-speed BIONZ XTM image processing engine – With detail-reproduction technology to capture the essence of realism, diffraction-reducing technology to maintain clarity even at smaller apertures, and area-specific noise reduction to reduce noise adaptively and reproduce greater detail, the BIONZ X image processing engine finely tunes the image sensor’s 42.4-megapixel data, for truer, clearer depiction.
- All FE lenses maximize resolution – The growing group of FE lenses (35 mm full-frame compatible E-mount lenses)—all carefully developed to match full-frame image sensors employing increasing numbers of pixels—makes the most of the 42.4-megapixel high-resolution performance of the α7R II.
- Higher-resolution 4K movie recording – Footage from 4K movie recording featuring full pixel readout without pixel binning in the Super 35 mm format exhibits higher resolution and superior clarity than typical 4K movies. Also, the XAVC S5 format allows 4K recording at 100 Mbps maximum bit rate to capture fine details of movement in movies.
- 5-axis image stabilization – This stabilization system is fine-tuned for high-resolution image sensors to compensate accurately for five types of camera shake that can compromise handheld shooting of the camera’s 42.4-megapixel images. Camera shake compensation is equivalent to using a 4.5-step4 faster shutter speed, allowing you to take advantage of a wider range of shutter speeds.
- Fast Hybrid AF now covers more – The high-performance image sensor enhances Fast Hybrid AF, which far surpasses conventional AF in comprehensiveness, speed and response. The 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points cover 45% of the image area — the most coverage among digital still cameras3 with full-frame image sensors. 25-point contrast-detection AF coverage is also included.
- Tough magnesium alloy body – Designed for solid reliability and steady handling, the α7R II’s compact body is built to withstand the rigors of shooting in the field, thanks to an internal structure and top, front, and rear covers all made of strong, rigid magnesium alloy.
- XGA OLED Tru-Finder makes every view a vision – With the world’s highest magnification6 at 0.78x among digital still camera viewfinders, the XGA OLED Tru-Finder provides views of cutting-edge definition, contrast and depth throughout the entire display. ZEISS T* Coating ensures absolutely minimal reflection on the viewfinder, so the a7R II’s extraordinary 42.4-megapixel performance is apparent at all times.
- Durable reduced-vibration shutter – The new shutter’s braking mechanism cuts mechanical front/rear curtain vibration by about 50%7. Also, use the electronic front curtain for even less vibration. This not only minimizes camera shake that can blur details in 42.4-megapixel images—it makes the shutter durable enough to have been tested to 500,0008 cycles.
- Silent Shooting – Silent Shooting features an electronic shutter that causes no vibration, so you can shoot high-resolution images without camera shake. This mode also operates without a sound, so it’s very convenient for shooting without disrupting indoor performances and outdoor wildlife, and in all other situations where silence is essential.
- PlayMemories Camera Apps add personal touches – Sony’s application download service lets you add new functions and capabilities to your camera. There are apps for photo and movie effects to enhance and express your creativity, and others to allow your smartphone to function as a camera’s remote control, for example.
- Wi-Fi / NFC simplifies sharing – With Wi-Fi and NFC (Near Field Communication) built into the α7R II, you can instantly transfer a photo or MP4 movie to your Android™ smartphone or tablet simply by touching it with the camera, then easily upload the photo or movie to your favorite SNS (social networking site).
- Enhanced Eye AF – Now also available in AF-C focus mode, Eye AF automatically detects and tracks an eye of even a moving subject, for more framing freedom.
- Compatibility with wide-ranging mountable lenses – 5-axis image stabilization lets you enjoy unparalleled handheld shooting freedom with more of your favorite mountable lenses. The short flange-back distance in the E-mount a7R II extends compatibility with a range of lenses.
- Expand Flexible Spot – If the selected AF point is not positioned on your subject, the a7R II automatically uses AF points surrounding the selected point to support precise focus.
- Stable viewfinder image – You can monitor the stabilizing effects of camera shake compensation in the viewfinder or LCD screen while shooting still images by pressing the shutter button halfway or magnifying the image, and while shooting movies by entering movie mode. Even when using a telephoto or macro lens, you can fine-tune framing and focusing without stress for steady results.
- S-Log Gamma setting – This proprietary Sony setting featured in professional camcorders creates a 1300% wider dynamic range for smooth gradation with reduced whiteout and blackout. Use color grading in post-production to make the most of low-noise images and super-rich detail to express footage in various ways. ISO 800 or higher is available when S-Log Gamma is selected.
- Picture Profile – Fine-tune the look of movies before shooting by adjusting gradation, color adjustment and detail. Adjusted parameters can be saved with other settings as a profile, and up to 7 profiles (PP1-PP7) can be stored for later recall.
- Clean HDMI output – This function supports 4K and Full HD and allows uncompressed movie output to an external recorder or monitor. The image can also be recorded in the camera10 even while signals are output using this function. The included cable protector guards jacks and prevents cables from disengaging accidentally, so you can shoot with greater assurance.
- Bright Monitoring – This function that boosts image brightness by changing shutter speed, for example, can be assigned to a customizable button for easy access when shooting a starry sky or other dark scene.
- More precise white balance adjustment – The a7R II offers more white balance adjustment steps (twice as many on the amber-blue axis; four times as many on the green-magenta axis) than before, so you can finely tune white balance with more subtle precision for more natural colors.
- 1200-zone Evaluative Metering – Ample data from 1200-zone metering and focal plane phase-detection AF points allows for more precise control of light volume from an external flash that complements ambient light. Choose Multi-segment, Center-weighted or Spot-metering mode.
- Priority setup in AF-C/AF-S – In AF-S (Single-shot AF) or AF-C (Continuous AF) mode, choose AF priority for taking pictures only when subject is in focus, Release priority for taking pictures even when subject is not in focus, or Balanced Emphasis for balancing the AF and Release options to achieve accurate focus, yet not miss a decisive moment when shooting moving subjects.
- ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed – Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode, or in Multi Frame NR) is selected.
- Creative Style – Creative Style settings bring out the character of your scene. Simply select any of 13 settings (Vivid, Portrait, etc.) and the camera will adjust image parameters. You can also fine-tune contrast, saturation11 and sharpness to suit your preference.
- Auto HDR (High Dynamic Range) – Auto HDR composites the best details from three exposures to expand the dynamic range of your images from darkest shadows to brightest highlights and capture all the tonal gradations seen by your naked eye.
- AF-A mode – In this mode, press the shutter button halfway down, and the camera automatically recognizes whether the subject is moving or not, then switches AF mode accordingly between AF-S to lock on a subject in focus and AF-C to keep adjusting focus. This versatility is useful for shooting various subjects at the same time, or to avoid switching AF mode manually.
- Multi Frame NR (Noise Reduction) – This mode composites four shots to significantly suppress noise and raise sensitivity, letting you clearly capture dark scenes without a tripod or flash. Camera shake blur is also lowered while contrast and detail are raised.
- Focus Magnifier & Peaking function – You can clearly magnify the image to simplify manual fine-tuning of the focus whether shooting still images or movies. The Peaking function can also be activated to colorize the most sharply focused areas of your image for quick confirmation.
|Effective Megapixels||Rs 42.40|
|Compatible Memory Card||Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Secure Digital (SD/SDHC, SDXC) Card|
|Sensor Type||CMOS, 36 x 24 mm|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100-25600 (Extended Mode: Auto, 50-102400)|
|LCD Monitor Type||Rear Screen LCD|
|LCD Screen Size||3.0″|
|Connectivity||1/8″ Headphone, 1/8″ Microphone, AV / USB Multi, HDMI D (Micro)|
|Viewfinder||Type XGA OLED, 0.5-inch (1.3cm) electronic viewfinder (color)|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Auto, Intelligent Auto, Manual, Movie, Programmed Auto, Scene Selection, Shutter Priority, Superior Auto, Sweep Panorama|
|Battery||NP-FW50 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack|
|Dimensions||5.0 x 3.8 x 2.4″ / 126.9 x 95.7 x 60.3 mm|
|Auto Focus||Automatic (A), Continuous-servo AF (C), Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S)|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 5 fps, Lo: max. 2.5 fps|
|Video Resolution||XAVC S 4K:
3840 x 2160 / 30p @ Approx.100Mbps
3840 x 2160 / 25p @ Approx.100Mbps
3840 x 2160 / 24p @ Approx.100Mbps
3840 x 2160 / 30p @ Approx.60Mbps
3840 x 2160 / 25p @ Approx.60Mbps
3840 x 2160 /24p @ Approx.60Mbps
XAVC S HD:
|Warranty (Manufacturer)||2 years|
There are no reviews yet.