The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Digital Still Camera is a large 20.1 megapixel 1″ Exmor R CMOS sensor compact point-and-shoot camera to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD 1080i/p video. The back-illuminated technology doubles light sensitivity to an expandable ISO 12800 and combines with Sony’s Column A/D Conversion to reduce noise levels – a great help when photographing in dimly lit environments. Markedly reduced noise is evident even when high-sensitivity settings are used for capturing night landscapes or indoor scenes. Benefitting the performance of this sensor is the BIONZ image processor, which helps to produce images with smooth quality and gradations. Full-resolution continuous shooting up to 10 fps is possible as well as a quick autofocus speed of just 0.13 seconds.
The DSC-RX100 III sports an all new bright f/1.8-2.8 Carl Zeiss(r) Vario-Sonnar T lens with 24-70mm zoom. The lens is perfect for portraits and macro shots with beautiful defocused – bokeh backgrounds. A premium multi-layered T coating also dramatically reduces ghost and flare caused by light reflection. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization is also available to help minimize the appearance of camera shake when working in dimly-lit conditions and with greater zoom magnifications. The lens also features a Carl Zeiss T anti-reflective coating, which helps to reduce surface reflections, lens flare, and ghosting in order to produce imagery that is rich in contrast and clarity.
- 20.1MP 1″ Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ Image Processor: The large 20.1 megapixel 1″ Exmor R CMOS sensor features backside-illuminated technology to enhance its low-light capabilities to an expanded ISO 12800 while still retaining vivid clarity. Using Sony’s Column A/D Conversion, images are rendered with impressive image quality and smooth gradations between tones and colors due to the marked reduction in apparent noise. Also benefitting the image quality, as well as overall camera performance, is the BIONZ image processor, which provides full-resolution continuous shooting up to 10 fps, high-speed auto focusing as quickly as 0.13 sec., and full HD 1080i/p video recording. Still images can be recorded in JPEG or RAW file formats, or both simultaneously.
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 3.6x Optical Zoom Lens: The built-in Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 10.4-37.1mm f/1.8-4.9 lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 28-100mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of situations. The bright f/1.8 maximum aperture on the wide end enables enhanced low-light capabilities as well as greater control over focus placement for selective focus imagery. The lens also features a Carl Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating to help minimize lens flare and ghosting in order to produce imagery with rich contrast and clarity.
- Built-In Wireless and NFC Connectivity: Built-in wireless connectivity enables the RX100 II to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. This technology also provides the ability to use Smart Remote Control, which provides for remote shutter release that is controlled by a smart device.
- High Speed Autofocus: Aided by the rapid throughput of the BIONZ image processor, high speed auto focusing is possible that is equally as precise as it is quick. Utilizing intelligent response data and a refined high speed actuator motor, the RX100 II can acquire focus in a similar manner and speed to top-performing DSLR focus systems in a variety of lighting conditions.
- Camera Design: An efficiently designed control ring around the lens lends itself to intuitive adjusting of some of the most crucial camera controls. This ring can be assigned to control an array of features, including zooming and aperture settings as well as more creative functions like Picture Effect modes. Its click-less design permits quick and quiet changing of settings, too, to benefit its use while recording HD movies. Additionally, for expedited changing of camera settings, a customizable function button allows you to assign one of seven different functions for quick modification when working in any shooting mode. Also promoting greater efficiency while shooting is the inclusion of a multi interface shoe that allows for the use of external flashes, auxiliary viewfinders, and external microphones. Remote camera controls can also be connected via this accessory shoe. A built-in pop-up flash is incorporated into the design as well, and features a unique design that allows for tilting of the flash head for bouncing off of walls, ceilings, or reflectors.
- High-Resolution LCD Monitor: For live view monitoring, image playback and review, and menu navigation, a 3.0″ 1,229k-dot Xtra Fine LCD monitor is integrated into the camera body and features a tilting design to promote easier use from high and low angles. The screen can tilt approximately 84° up and 45° down, giving a wide range of viewing angles. The LCD also employs WhiteMagic technology, which enhances the brightness of the display for easier use in bright conditions.
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording: Full HD 1920 x 1080 video recording is supported in multiple frames rates, including 60p, 60i, and 24p. When recording in full HD, the AVCHD Ver. 2.0 codec is used for highly detailed image quality that translates well to editing and sharing on HDTVs. Recording in the Internet-friendly MP4 format is also supported in 1440 x 1080 and 640 x 480 sizes at 30 fps. Sound is recorded during filming using the built-in stereo microphone or, additionally, an external microphone can be used in conjunction with the multi interface shoe.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization: Optical SteadyShot image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working in low-light conditions or with greater zoom magnifications. The system can counter the effects of both vertical and horizontal movements, and, furthermore, Active 3-Way stabilization adds digital rolling control that balances both clockwise and counter-clockwise movements while recording videos.
- Auto Object Framing: Is an intelligent shooting mode that can automatically analyze the scene and subjects within it and determine an aesthetically-pleasing composition. The subsequent imagery will be cropped according to subject matter, resulting in a well-balanced composition that utilizes Face Detection and Tracking Focus to ensure high image quality and sharpness.
- Auto HDR: Mode will automatically record a bracketed range of exposures of the same scene in order to capture greater highlight and shadow detail than a single exposure can record. These multiple exposures will then be composited into a single file that exhibits an extended dynamic range.
- Face Detection/Registration: Technology can detect and register up to eight individual faces and adjust the focus, exposure, white balance, and flash settings in order to deliver optimal image settings for pictures of people. Children or adults can be prioritized within this mode. 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, and 16:9: Aspect ratios are available and can be chosen depending on specific shooting purposes. To extend the effective reach of the 3.6x optical zoom lens, 2x Clear Image digital zoom can be used to intelligently magnify scenes up to 7.2x. This digital zoom technology uses an intelligent interpolation process to minimize the amount of image degradation in order to produce realistic, high-quality images.
- Picture Effect: Modes allow you to apply creative settings and emphasize certain facets of individual images for a richer, more aesthetic picture quality. Soft Focus, Posterization, Retro Photo, High Contrast Monochrome, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Soft High-Key, Toy Camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Watercolor Painting, HDR Painting, and Illustration modes are available.
- Creative Style: Settings provide control over how the camera processes images based on six different predetermined styles: Standard, Vivid, B&W, Sunset, Portrait, and Landscape. Within these settings, contrast, saturation, and sharpness can also be adjusted depending on personal preference.
|Sensor Type||1″ (13.2 x 8.8 mm) CMOS|
|ISO Sensitivity||125-12800 (Extended Mode: 80-12800)|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Intelligent Auto, Manual, Memory Recall, Movie, Panorama Shot, Programmed Auto, Scene Selection, Shutter Priority, Superior Auto|
|Dimensions||4.0 x 2.3 x 1.6″ / 101.6 x 58.1 x 41.0 mm|
|Video Resolution||1080 HD|
|Digital Zoom||Still image: 20M Approx.11x / 10M 16x / 5M 23x / VGA 44x; Movie: Approx.11x|
|Battery||InfoLITHIUM® NP-BX1 (3.6V)|
|Connectivity||HDMI D (Micro), Micro-USB, USB 2.0|
|Compatible Memory Card||Memory Stick Duo, Pro Duo, PRO HG-Duo, SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Viewfinder||Diopter Adjustment -4.0 to +3.0m-1|
|LCD Monitor Type||LCD Rear Screen Tilt (1,228,800 pixels)|
|LCD Screen Size||3.0″|
|Focal Length||8.8-25.7 mm (35 mm equivalent: 24-70 mm)|
|Aperture Range||f/1.8 (W) – 2.8 (T) to f/11|
|White Balance||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature Filter, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Fluorescent (Warm White), Incandescent, Shade|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||10 fps at 20.2MP|
|Image Stabilization||[Still Image],Optical,[Movie],Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation (Anti-rolling)|